(Source: blogilates, via )
Pilates versus Yoga - what’s the diff?
Read through the diagram, really good breakdown of the differences. Here’s a text breakdown of the major contrasts just in case you can’t see the words in the enlarged photo:
1. Histories: The origin of yoga is somewhat unclear, but evidence shows that it may have been practiced as early as 3000 B.C. in areas that are now India and Pakistan. Yoga has been developed mainly through the religious practices of Hinduism and Buddhism. Pilates has a much shorter history, being developed by Joseph H. Pilates after he served as a nurse in World War I.
2. Philosophies: Both yoga and Pilates embrace the importance of the mind in controlling the body. There is a difference in that yoga seeks to achieve a balance between body, mind and spirit, coming from its religious roots. Pilates maintains a mind-body approach to improve physical fitness.
3. Poses: Many of the core poses of Pilates and yoga are the same or very similar. And the intent of the poses is the same in Pilates and yoga, which both use the poses to focus the body and mind — and spirit in yoga — so they are in union; this, in turn, allows a person to perform the movement or pose in the best possible way. The intent differs from many traditional exercise routines that focus on the completion of an exercise or movement and not on the performance of the movement.
4. Equipment: Yoga requires very little equipment. A yoga mat is the only essential piece of yoga equipment, with yoga blocks and belts being nice additions for beginners. Yoga balls are sometimes used, as well, to help develop better balance. Pilates equipment is much more frequently used. Although several Pilates exercises can be done with only a mat, Pilates machines allow for a much wider variation of poses and movements.
5. Benefits: The poses used in yoga and Pilates improve flexibility, strength and body control. Most practitioners also claim stress relief as a major benefit of both exercises.
COMPLETE BLOGILATES/POP PILATES WORKOUT VIDEOS:
- 3 MINUTE AB WORKOUT CHALLENGE
- 6 PACK ABS IN 6 MOVES!
- ABOMINABLE ABDOMINALS
- CINCH THAT WAIST WORKOUT
- CORSET WORKOUT FOR A SLIM WAIST
- CRAZY CORE WORKOUT
- HOT ABS WORKOUT
- INTENSE AB WORKOUT
- LOWER BELLY POOCH ATTACK
- MUFFIN TOP/LOVE HANDLES EXTERMINATOR
- MUFFIN TOP MELTDOWN
- UH-OH OBLIQUES
- YOU’VE GOT ABS FLAT ABS WORKOUT CHALLENGE
- INNER THIGH INSANITY
- LEGILATES LEGSERCIZES
- LEGS AND THIGHS WORKOUT
- SADDLEBAG SHAVER
- SLIMMER INNER THIGHS/RUNNER’S CALVES WORKOUT
- SO YOU WANT NICE LEGS WORKOUT
- THANKFUL THIGHS THANKSGIVING WORKOUT
- LADY GAGA STANDING ABS/LEGS
- PLANK ARM WORKOUT FOR FLAT ABS/TONED ARMS
- SERIOUS STANDING PILATES FOR LEGS/BUTT/OBLIQUES
- STANDING PILATES BY THE SEA FOR THIGHS/CORE/SHOULDERS
- ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS WORKOUT
- BIKINI BOD WORKOUT
- BIKINI BOOTCAMP
- BODY SLIMMING WORKOUT
- NEW BODY MAKEOVER
- POST THANKSGIVING TUNE UP
- SCULPTING TOTAL BODY WORKOUT
- SEA INSPIRED PILATES WORKOUT
- SUMMER SLIMDOWN WORKOUT
- TILL THE WORLD ENDS TOTAL BODY WORKOUT
- TOTAL BODY BANGIN’ WORKOUT
- TOTAL BODY SCULPT FOR ABS/BUTT/THIGHS
- WEIGHT LOSS PILATES
- 20/20 WORKOUT FOR FAT BLASTING & TONING
- BLOGILATES & BEX HIIT WORKOUT
- CARDIO KICKBOXING
- CRAZY PARK HIIT WORKOUT
- FAT MELTING ROUTINE
- FOOD BABY HIIT WORKOUT
- HEART THROBBER WORKOUT
- HIIT BODYWEIGHT WORKOUT
- KICK IT WORKOUT
- CARDIO DANCE!
- TOTAL BODY CARDIO KICKBOXING
“Cinch that Waist” Workout! Try it 4x through AT LEAST. Have fun. Do you like my Golden Gate background?
The C25K can be found here.
The Cheerleading Workout can be found here.
The Malone Workout can be found here.
The Amazing Abs Workout can be found here.
The Booty Firm Up Workout can be found here.
The Flat Abs Challenge Workout can be found here.
The Bikini Beach Bum Workout can be found here.
The Bikini Ready Abs Workout can be found here.
The Standing Pilates Workout can be found here.
The 6 Week 6 Pack Level 1 Workout can be downloaded here.
The Legs and Butt Workout can be found here.
The Abs Yoga Workout can be found here.
The Yoga Butt Workout can be found here.
Here’s a list of all of my POP Pilates, POP Cardio, and workout videos. Pick your muscle group or exercise type and let the toning/fat loss begin!
WORKOUTS BY MUSCLE GROUP (ordered by most recently uploaded):
ABS (view full video gallery here)
- POP Pilates for Beginners: Ab Time! (13:11)
- POP Pilates: Hot Abs! (14:03)
- POP Pilates: Abominable Abdominals (18:19)
- Top 3 Pilates Abs Moves for Diet.com (5:16)
- You’ve Got Abs! Flat Abs Challenge (8:35)
- Flat Abs Pilates Routine for Diet.com (6:54)
- POP Pilates: Lower Belly Pooch Attack! Part 2 of 2 Attack Series (15:04)
- POP Pilates: Intense Ab Workout (10:50)
- POP Pilates: 3 Min Ab Workout Challenge (4:16)
- POP Pilates: Crazy Core Workout - Intense! Fun! (10:55)
ARMS/UPPER BODY (view full video gallery here)
- Plank Arm Workout (11:58)
- POP Pilates: Tricep Toner (13:20)
- Push Up Challenge - 3 Advanced variations (6:34)
- POP Pilates: Arm Attack! Part 1 of 2 Attack Series (11:17)
- POP Pilates: Upper Body Workout - Arms, Chest, Shoulders (10:22)
BACK (view full video gallery here)
BUTT (view full video gallery here)
- POP Pilates: Beyonce Bootylicious Bum Butt Badonkadonk Bonanza aka The B6 Workout (18:06)
- Top 3 Butt Toning Moves - Diet.com (6:21)
- POP Pilates: 25 Minute Butt Blaster (26:09)
- POP Pilates: Super Butt Workout (10:57)
LEGS/THIGHS(view full video gallery here)
- Leg Slimming Pilates Routine for Diet.com (7:30)
- POP Pilates: Slimmer Inner Thighs and Runner’s Calves (12:04)
- POP Pilates: Saddlebag Shaver (17:29)
- POP Pilates: Inner Thigh Insanity (13:20)
- POP Pilates: Legs & Thighs Workout (9:57)
OBLIQUES/MUFFIN TOPS/LOVE HANDLES (view full video gallery here)
- POP Pilates: Muffin Top Meltdown (14:52)
- Oblique Pilates Routine for Diet.com (6:31)
- Uh-Oh Obliques Ultimate Workout (13:16)
- POP Pilates: Muffin Top Exterminator (10:29)
TOTAL BODY (view full video gallery here)
- POP Pilates: Total Body Bangin’ Workout (29:54)
- Plank Workout for Flat Abs & Toned Arms (11:57)
- Standing Pilates by the Sea for your Thighs, Core ‘n Shoulders (7:49)
- Sea Inspired Pilates Workout (7:16)
- POP Pilates: Summer Slimdown Part 1 (17:32)
- POP Pilates Summer Slimdown Part 2 (19:02)
- POP Pilates: Britney Spears “Til the World Ends” Ab Workout (5:36)
- 5 Minute Total Body Pilates for Diet.com (5:20)
- POP Pilates: New Body Makeover (29:44)
- POP Pilates: Bikini Bod 1 (9:49)
- POP Pilates: Bikini Bod 2 for Arms & Abs (10:38)
- POP Pilates: Body Slimming Workout (10:57)
- POP Pilates: Total Body Sculpt (10:03)
WORKOUTS BY TYPE:
BEGINNERS (view full video gallery here)
EQUIPMENT (view full video gallery here)
- The 20/20 Workout
- Crazy Park HIIT Workout (6:35)
- POP Cardio: BODYPOP! HIIT Bodyweight Workout (14:34)
- POP Cardio: Kick It! (5:35)
- POP Cardio: Heart Throbber (8:40)
COOL DOWN/STRETCHING: (view full video gallery here)
(Source: melanie-is-healthy, via )