What are Vitamins?
Vitamins are organic molecules that our body needs and gets from our diet. There are thirteen needed by humans and those are separated into two groups: Water-solubles and fat-solubles.
What Are the Differences Between Water- and Fat-Soluble Vitamins?
The major difference between the two is where your body stores them and what it does when you consume too much. If your body has too much of a water-soluble vitamin it will get rid of it easily through urinating. Fat-soluble vitamins, on the other hand, are deposited into body fat. This makes getting rid of too much difficult and can result in toxic levels.
Meet the Water-Soluble Vitamins
- peanuts, whole grains, legume
- Symptoms of deficiency: tingling, reduced heart function, poor coordination
- meats, dairy, grains, veggies
- Symptoms of deficiency: cracks in skin, often around the mouth
- grains, meats, nuts
- Symptoms of deficiency: confusion, delusions, skin and digestive problems
- whole grains, fruits, dairy, veggies, meats
- Symptoms of deficiency: Tired, tingling, numbness
- whole grains, veggies, meats
- Symptoms of deficiency: anemia, muscular twitching, iritability, convulsions
- veggies, meats, legumes
- Symptoms of deficiency: skin, neural, musculature problems
- oranges, nuts, whole grains, green veggies, legumes
- Symptoms of deficiency: anemia
- dairy, eggs, meats
- Symptoms of deficiency: numbness, loss of balance, anemia
- broccoli, tomatoes, citrus
- Symptoms of deficiency: scurvy (teeth and skin deterioration), problems with wound healing
Meet the Fat-Soluble Vitamins
- dairy, orange and dark green veggies and fruits
- Symptoms of deficiency: blindness, immunity problems, skin problems
- eggs, dairy
- Symptoms of deficiency: bone problems
- seeds, nuts, vegetable oils
- Symptoms of deficiency: nervous system problems
- teas, green vegetables
- Symptoms of deficiency: Blood clotting problems
I made these as a quick & visual reminder of natural sources of essential vitamins & minerals.
All of these food sources are 100% clean, natural & VEGAN!
To read specifics about each vitamin:
Isn’t this graphic lovely? I wonder why it doesn’t have more notes.
Are You Blocking the Absorption of Your Vitamins?
Foods, other vitamins and minerals, medications, and dosage amounts can interfere with the absorption of some vitamins and minerals. The following chart gives you a general overview of some of these hindrances and aids.
This is sooo helpful.